Taddy's Journey
Taddy wriggled and pushed the edge of the filmy egg that held him. At last, but not without a struggle, he had escaped from the egg that had held him for the last 10 days. The bottom of the creek bed was muddy and he had to use all his instincts to stop from being the prey of an animal larger then himself.

He hardly ever sat on the bottom of the creek, preferring to hide among the thick brown roots of the underwater plants. Here with the other tadpoles he spent most of his time, except to  wriggle out and nibble at the soft, green tendrils of the swaying reeds every now and then.

One day, while eating, he was leisurely moving about the plants when, before he could move, he was suddenly grabbed by something. The something pulled him out of the water and he gasped as the hot windy air hit his moist, trembling body. How much longer cold he stay alive in these conditions? He was confused, he began to wilt . . . . How much longer? . . .  how much . . . suddenly, although it seemed in slow motion, he was lowered into a bowl of cool water.

He was rocked from side to side as it bounced along in the large bumpy thing, often flying at an incredible speed. At last they came to a stop. He was carried to a large glass aquarium and dropped in. It had smooth cool sides and the bottom was made of clean, crisp, white pebbles that felt like cold ice cream instead of the slimy mud he was used to. Other larger and smaller tadpoles swam freely around in the cool but not cold water.


He had been in the tank some time when his chest began to feel itchy, It felt like he was being pinched. Slowly over a period of several days, little knobs appeared. Soon the knobs grew bigger  and little toes appeared. He began to feel at ease with his new outfit. His tail began to shorten and one day, without knowing quite why, he climbed out of the tank up a stick.

He looked at himself. He hadn't realised how much he had changed. His tail was nearly gone and his feet were long and slender. His body was a beautiful grass green that changed to dark green to match the area where he was.

Suddenly the big 'something' that had pulled him out of his small, muddy home creek again drew him out of the water. This time he was not so confused. He knew that the something was a net. He was older now and could breath outside air. He was taken to a creek with large green reeds and a clear, sandy bottom.  He was left there to live once again, like a normal amphibian.

One day, when he was older, he met another frog called Tasena. Soon they mated and Tasena laid a large litter of eggs. As the eggs hatched and the tadpoles started turning into frogs, as he had done before them, he felt happy as he had done what he had to. He soon died, knowing that his descendants would live on as his children turned into frogs themselves and had their own children ........

Susannah Andrew
Copyright, 1999.
All rights reserved.


Back to publication contents page.          To top of current page.      To next story or poem.
This page is part of the 'writing in highfields and crow's nest' creative writing and web publishing project funded with an International Year of Older Persons allocation  by Public Libraries Division of the State Library of Queensland  for Crow's Nest Shire District Libraries. Page design by Daryll Bellingham, storyteller.
Copyright of stories, poems, articles and photographs remains the property of the individual artists. All rights reserved.
Last update: 26th August, 2003.